L & D Blog
Football and Marketing’s Biggest Night
The Super Bowl is football’s biggest night; a five-hour spectacle of tackles, touchdowns and field goals. February 4, 2018 may go down in history as one of the best Super Bowl games in history. It was a shootout from start to finish, and after breaking the record for the most yards in a Super Bowl game with 1,151 yards, the Philadelphia Eagles beat the New England Patriots to take home the Lombardi Trophy. But Super Bowls are marketing’s biggest night, as well. With minutes of the best scripts to increase brand identity in between plays, many advertisers chose to focus on service and social responsibility while many went for the laughs. L & D Mail Masters has picked its top 5 commercials from Super Bowl 52 for your enjoyment!
5. Martin Luther King, Jr. Ram Truck Commercial – It was timely. Using script from a MLK sermon given on the same day 50 years prior was powerful. The connection of his sermon with the motto of Ram Trucks, “Built to Serve”, aligned well.
4. Danny DeVito’s M & Ms Commercial – You can’t go wrong with a little comedy. Danny DeVito turns from an M&M into a human who is thrilled no one wants to eat him. This was a short and sweet message.
3. Hyundai’s Cancer Research Commercial – Bringing attention to Hyundai’s Corporate Social Responsibility, their Super Bowl spot highlighted cancer patients who personally thanked Hyundai owners for helping save their lives. Grab your tissues!
2. Lindsey Vonn’s Girl On Fire Winter Olympic Commercial – Who doesn’t love a good comeback story? American Olympian Lindsey Vonn has several of those. So, in the Super Bowl 52 Winter Olympics promo spot, Vonn is highlighted as she recovers from an injury while Alicia Keys’ “Girl On Fire” plays in the background. The one-minute clip is inspiring and gets you hyped up for the Winter Olympics that begins this week.
1. Alexa Replacement Commercial – Alright, hands down this is L & D Mail Masters’ favorite commercial from the evening. Amazon’s Alexa loses her voice and chef Gordon Ramsey, rapper Cardi B, actress Rebel Wilson and actor Anthony Hopkins are her replacements. You’ve got to see this one.
What were some of your favorite commercials from Super Bowl 52?